Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Church item typeSt Nicholas & St Mary's Chapel

Church

St. Nicholas & St. Mary’s Chapel

St. Nicholas & St. Mary’s Chapel

Contact

St Nicholas & St Mary's Chapel

Address

Witham Road,
Little Braxted,
CM8 3EU

Details

St. Nicholas in Little Braxted is one of the smallest churches in Essex and was built in the early 12th century. It has kept its original Norman apsidal east end, and only one Norman window remains on the north side. The rest of the windows have been replaced at different times, mostly in the 14th century.

In contrast to its simple exterior and walls of flint-rubble and puddingstone, the church’s interior is richly furnished and decorated. This contrast is due to Revd Ernest Geldart (1848-1929) who was rector of Little Braxted from 1881 to 1900. Restorations have been made in the last thirty years to the church’s roof, ceiling, wall paintings, and the brocade and raffia wall coverings.

Location

Directions

See location of St Nicholas and St Mary's Chapel on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TL 835148  Lat: 51.80188 Long: 0.66100