Wartime Heritage

Searching for something...
  • Accommodation
  • Things to Do
  • What's On
  • Food & Drink
Accommodation Search
Type:
Area:
Location
Keyword:
Things to Do Search
Type:
Area:
Location
Keyword:
What's On Search
Dates
Type:
Area:
Location
Keyword:
Food & Drink Search
Type:
Area:
Location
Keyword:

Inspiration

  1. BE2 flying
    Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome is a unique place with a unique history. It is the largest known surviving group of RFC buildings on a WWI aerodrome which was not adapted for further military use later in its history.
    1. Napoleonic period cannon at CMSM
      An award winning collection of British military artefacts from the English Civil War to today. Collections focus on the Special Forces, espionage, uniforms, medals, swords, and the Donnington Firearms Collection of over 700 guns.
      1. The RAF Bradwell Bay war memorial.
        RAF Bradwell Bay is a former Royal Air Force station located on the Dengie Peninsular, approximately 9.5 miles east of Maldon. It is the site of a war memorial to the 121 members of the Allied Air Forces who "in answer to the call of duty left this airfield to fly into the blue forever". The memorial is in the shape of a crashed Mosquito aircraft. The central area of the airfield was first laid prior to the Second World Ware as a grass landing strip for the nearby Dengie firing ranges off the coast before being rebuilt in 1940 as an large RAF station with concrete runways, hangars and other buildings.

      Number of results: 30

      , currently showing 1 to 20.

      1. Address

        High Street, Burnham, CM0 8AG

        Burnham

        Burnham’s war memorial remembers 98 local soldiers who died in the First World War, and 27 soldiers and 10 civilians who died in the Second World War. The pale stone obelisk, which looks out over the estuary, was designed by the renowned architect R…

      2. Address

        The Square, Tillingham, Essex, CM07SU

        Telephone

        01621 779620

        Tillingham

        This Grade II listed parish church has a beautiful setting in the village square in Tillingham, surrounded by white weatherboarded cottages. It is also home to the village's war memorials.

      3. Address

        The Drive, Mayland, Essex, CM3 6GT

        Telephone

        01621 743551

        Mayland

        A large, open site adjacent to Lawling Playing Field which also contains the Memorial Wall. Large car park, enclosed children's play site, developing woodland areas and surfaced paths.

      4. Address

        Church Street, Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Essex, CM9 8TS

        Tolleshunt D'Arcy

        St Nicholas Church is Grade I listed. Its churchyard extension, a little way up the road, has three Commonwealth War Graves.

      5. Address

        East End Road/High Street, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, CM0 7PY

        Telephone

        01621 779620

        Bradwell-on-Sea

        Grade II Listed church dating from the 14th century, with the parish War Memorial inside and Commonwealth War Graves and a Roll of Honour memorial in its grounds. The church has a medieval timber porch, parish cage and peal of bells.

      6. Address

        Church Rd, Ulting, Essex, CM9 6QU

        Telephone

        01245 380958

        Ulting

        All Saints Church stands in a picturesque setting on the River Chelmer. It is Grade II* Listed and was built in 1150, with a barrel vaulted chancel roof. There is a Commonwealth War Grave in the churchyard.

      7. Address

        Promenade Park, Park Drive, Maldon, CM9 5JQ

        Maldon

        The World War One Avenue of Remembrance at Promenade Park begins by the coach park and loops around the field to the main vehicle entrance from Park Drive. The Avenue originally consisted of 180 numbered trees and was dedicated on 27 November 1935…

      8. Address

        Junction of Main Road and Station Road, Althorne, CM3 6DB

        Althorne

        Althorne's unusual war memorial is in the form of a traditional, decorative lychgate, framed in oak, with a pitched roof covered with clay tiles. It was designed by local artist Walter Savage Cooper and built after World War 1. A metal plaque…

      9. Address

        Heybridge Cemetery, Goldhanger Road, Heybridge, CM9 4QR

        Heybridge

        Heybridge War Memorial is a Grade II Listed memorial made from creamy Portland limestone and stands just inside the gates to the cemetery. Approximately 3m high, it is in the form of a cross with a stone relief sword on the front and an octagonal…

      10. Address

        Trusses Road, Bradwell-on-Sea, CM0 7QS

        Bradwell-on-Sea

        RAF Bradwell Bay is a former Royal Air Force station located on the Dengie Peninsular, approximately 9.5 miles east of Maldon. It is the site of a war memorial to the 121 members of the Allied Air Forces who "in answer to the call of duty left this…

      11. Address

        Totham Plains, The Street, Little Totham, CM9 8JQ

        Little Totham

        Little Totham's moving modern war memorial was only built in 2019 and commemorates Private Ernest Albert Belcher who died in 1917 and Private Charles Chaplin who died in 1920. The memorial, next to the village sign, comprises three steel Tommy…

      12. Address

        Maldon Road, Woodham Mortimer, CM9 6SN

        Woodham Mortimer

        Pretty St Margaret's Church dates from the 12th century, but the majority of the Grade II Listed building was reconstructed in the 19th century. Features include a 13th century font and an interesting graveyard with an impressive raised memorial to…

      13. Address

        Church Street, Maldon, Essex, CM9 5HP

        Telephone

        01621 857191

        Maldon

        St. Mary's Church is known locally as the Fisherman's Church as its tower guides sailors and their craft into the Hythe Quay. The existing building dates from 1130, but archaeological evidence suggests that it used to be the site of a Saxon church.

      14. Address

        Northey Cottage, Northey Island, Maldon, Essex, CM9 6PP

        Maldon

        Northey is an island in the Blackwater Estuary in Essex, connected to the mainland by a causeway that is covered by the tide twice every day. It is a Site of special scientific interest with a large area of undisturbed Saltmarsh. It is also the site…

      15. Address

        Junction of Beacon Hill and Kelvedon Road, Wickham Bishops, CM8 3HW

        Wickham Bishops

        Great Braxted, Little Braxted and Wickham Bishops war memorial is a Grade II listed stone memorial with a tall, hexagonal pillar topped with an orb and cross, standing on a three-step hexagonal plinth. The memorial was given to the area by Mr and…

      16. Address

        St Mary the Virgin church, Church Street, Tollesbury, CM9 8QJ

        Telephone

        07908 776750

        Tollesbury

        Tollesbury War Memorial stands in the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin, a beautiful Grade II* Listed church. The memorial is a wooden cross on a three-stepped brick base. There is a second, stone war memorial on the playing fields at Victory…

      17. Address

        St Leonard's Church, Station Rd, Southminster, Essex, CM10 7EW

        Telephone

        01621 772300

        Southminster

        Southminster War Memorial is a 2.4m obelisk in the grounds of St Leonard's Church, bearing the names of 75 casualties of war.

      18. Address

        Outside All Saints Church, High Street, Maldon, CM9 5PF

        Maldon

        The war memorial in Maldon stands in the High Street outside All Saints Church and is a Grade II Listed white stone cross on a plinth and base, with bronze plaques set into the design. It was designed by Chelmsford Architect Wykeham Chancellor and…

      19. Address

        All Saints Church, Church Hill, Purleigh, CM3 6QJ

        Purleigh

        The war memorial at Purleigh stands in the graveyard extension opposite the Grade I Listed All Saints Church and takes the form of a 10ft granite obelisk on a three-stepped base, built by Wray & Fuller of Chelmsford. It commemorates the lives of 25…

      20. Address

        Church Lane, Stow Maries, Essex, CM3 6SL

        Stow Maries

        The parish church of St Mary and St Margaret is Grade II* Listed. The church chancel was built in the 14th century and the nave in the 15th century. The churchyard has five Commonwealth War Graves.